July saw me bring a tonne of stuff to auction as I emptied my various storage areas. The purge made for a long sales list, which (in addition to recent comments) led me to reconsider the way I share my sales. I think in future posts I’ll do a general overview of the numbers, and highlight only the most exciting sales – something in line with what they do at Scavenger Life, but with a few more featured items. The detailed summary made more sense when I sold less items, but now they’re getting to be a lot more work, the tedious kind at that. Better to save that energy for other posts, or more picking!
If you want to keep track of my eBay sales on your own, visit my eBay listings page and sort by “sold” (or just bookmark that link for future reference).
- Carl Poul Petersen sterling silver cigar humidor: 1000$. This is currently the most valuable single item I’ve ever sold! I hope to break the record later this year, however…
- Faber Castell Minfix pencil sharpener: 27$.
- Enicar Ultrasonic Supertest watch: 72$.
- Leru expandable bracelet: 13.50$.
- Phonak MyPilot hearing aid remote: 31.50$. All items that sold with cents (and most with prices not ending in a 0 or 5) were part of a sale I did to clear out some older items. It worked pretty well!
- Egermann bohemian glass vase: 31.50$. This took a while to sell. Perhaps I overestimate its value. Found in Montreal West.
- Benito Mussolini postcard: 18$. Part of that huge postcard haul I found last year.
- Royal Navy shoulder boards: 9$.
- Detonator II programmer box: 18$.
- Beswick cat figurines: 36$.
- Burberry eyeglasses: 36$.
- Rolex passport / documents holder: 54$.
- Coach eyeglasses: 22.50$.
- Armani sunglasses: 27$.
- 1TB external drive: 54$.
- Habanita by Molinard, 100ml: 58.50$.
- Miniature bottle of Diorissimo: 22$.
eBay total: 1499$.
Unfortunately there’s no good way to link you to my auction listings, either past or present, so a lot of this info will be inaccessible when I pare down these posts. However, I’ll still share my favourite or more notable sales.
Unfortunately I was too busy to take pictures of most of these things before bringing them in. You’ll have to use your imagination!
- Lot of vintage paper bags (mostly from Steinberg’s): 14$.
- Lot of slides (mostly of flora & fauna): 20$. A big part of the huge photo haul I found last year in St Michel. The most valuable were the Expo 67 slides, which went for about 250$. Otherwise, some African missionary slides ended up selling for around 50$. These weren’t as collectible, but I’m sure someone will appreciate them (or turn them into a cool lampshade).
- Old fishing rod: 6$.
- Vintage metal & glass lampshade: 14$.
- Vintage 8lb anchor: 10$.
- Sears 26122 guitar pre-amp: 24$.
- Wood lathe: 30$
- Framed metal fisherman: 9$.
- Picture frame with chain-like motif: 6$.
- Pressback chair with missing leather seat: 16$.
- Vintage industrial towel holders: 14$.
- Train set parts: 22$.
- Lot of three portable radios with cassette players: 7$.
- Bucket of pennies: 70$. Given to me by a nice guy in Cartierville. I’d guess there was 35-40$ in actual coins, but pennies sell for around 2c each at auction these days.
- Vintage Panasonic radio: 8$.
- Electric soldering machine: 26$. It looks pretty grimy here but it actually cleaned up fairly well.
- Dromedary sculpture: 16$.
- Raymond sewing machine table, in pieces: 30$.
- Wine decanter thing: 26$.
- Kodak Etkasound projector, untested: 8$.
- Sharp projector, working but old: 26$.
- Standing birdcage, missing bottom piece: 12$.
- Rivet machine: 20$.
- Aiwa stereo setup, untested: 8$.
- Entry carpet: 26$.
- Fireplace log rack: 12$.
- 17 old Alka Seltzer jars with hardware bric-a-brac inside: 10$.
- Glass candleholder: 5$.
- Lot of lamp pieces: 9$.
- Two balloon inflators, working: 7$.
- Vintage andirons: 6$.
- 4×4 jack: 44$.
- Huge Betamax player, untested: 10$. I realized that I was probably never going to get around to testing this thing, and since it weighed like 50 pounds it would have been a hassle to ship. I’m happy to get it out of my basement.
- Vintage UFO Pendant lamp: 75$. I’m happy with this sale. The lamp was great but needed some TLC. It would have been difficult to ship and annoying to sell on Kijiji. Found in Ville St Laurent.
- Chair base with wheels: 18$.
- Vintage Coleman cooler: 26$. I discovered that vintage coolers are a pretty easy sell.
- Victoriaville goalie stick: 6$. I should have held onto this until hockey season.
- Five stainless steel restaurant trays: 50$. A surprising result. I guess these things cost a fair bit new.
- Untested turntable: 7$.
- Vintage trophy lot: 5$.
- Cup & stein lot: 18$.
- Brass umbrella stand: 44$. I didn’t expect it to sell for nearly this much – I think I had it priced at 10$ at one of my yard sales.
- Box of Le Jour magazines: 6$.
- Lot of glass & metal lamp pieces: 16$.
- Lot of chair wheels & legs: 12$
- Alain Choquette (Quebec magician) signed photo: 5$.
- Jean-Pierre Girerd lithograph (cartoon of Rene Levesque): 24$.
- College de Montreal group photo (“trombinoscope”) with Gratien Gelinas: 34$.
Total: 917 – 229.25 (25%) – 48 = 639.75$.
Yard sales: 300$ (one small sale, one mediocre turnout).
Total: 2438.75$, 14505.25$ so far in 2018. So far I’m on pace to make about as much as I did last year. However, I expect that my profits through the last quarter will propel me to new heights of (relative) wealth!
1. Facebook page
2. My eBay listings, Sign up for eBay, Search for something you want / research something you have
3. Help me pay off student loan debt / Contribute to the blog
4. Follow me on Instagram